West Shore, BC: Charges have now been laid against 28 yr old Kenneth Jacob FENTON in regards to the motor vehicle related death of West Shore RCMP Cst Sarah Beckett on April 5th, 2016.
The arrest was a result of a criminal investigation led by the RCMP Island District GIS with assistance from the Saanich Police Department who conducted the collision scene investigation.
FENTON will be facing five charges in relation to the crash, including:
- operating a motor vehicle while impaired causing death, Sec 255(3) cc
- operating a motor vehicle in a dangerous manner did fail to stop while being pursued by a peace officer, Sec 249.1 (3) cc
- impaired care and control causing death, Sec 255(3.1) cc
- operating a motor vehicle in a manner dangerous to the public causing death, Sec 249(4) cc
- knew or ought to have known that his care & control of a motor vehicle caused an accident resulting in death, Sec 255(3.2) cc
Cst Beckett’s family have been notified of the charges and they request their privacy during this time.
Island District Commander, Chief Superintendent Ray Bernoties stated, “As this is now before the courts, it would be inappropriate for me to comment, other than to say thank you, once again, to the community for the overwhelming support we have received.”
The RCMP has no further comment at this time, respecting that this matter is now before the courts.
File # 2016-109
West Shore RCMP