Sylvan Lake, Alberta – On Monday September 12, Sylvan Lake RCMP responded to a suspicious residential fire and as a result arrested a suspect.
44-year-old Michael Alois SCHAAB, of Sylvan Lake, faces the following charges stemming from the Arson investigation:
• 433(A) Criminal Code – Arson/Disregard for Human Life
• 434 Criminal Code – Arson to Property
• 2 counts of 264.1(1)(B) Criminal Code – Utter threats to cause death
• 145(3) Criminal Code – Fail to Comply with Recognizance
As a result of an earlier investigation on September 6 and 7, where Sylvan Lake RCMP were at a residence in Red Deer County on Sand Road to keep the peace, Schaab has also been charged with the following:
• 4 counts of 91(1) Criminal Code – Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
• 3 counts of 86(1) Careless Use of a Firearm
• 2 counts of 91(2) Possession of a Prohibited weapon without holding a licence
• 2 counts of 95(1) Possession of a Prohibited weapon with Ammunition
• 3 counts of 108(1)(A) Tampering with the serial number of a firearm
• 4 counts of 145(3) – Fail to Comply with Recognizance
A bail hearing was held last night for SCHAAB. He was remanded in custody for Provincial Court this morning in Red Deer.
“Both of these investigations have required significant work that have yielded positive results” says Sergeant Jeff McBeth of the Sylvan Lake RCMP. “Any time the police can get illegal guns off the streets is a great day for the community.”
Sylvan Lake RCMP
September 13, 2016
Sylvan Lake RCMP Investigate Arson
Sylvan Lake, Alberta – On Monday September 12, 2016 at 10:35 p.m., Sylvan Lake RCMP and Fire Department responded to a residential fire located on the 50 block on Old Boomer Road, in Sylvan Lake. All occupants were out of the residence and the fire was contained and extinguished. No one was injured as a result of this fire, and damage to the residence was minimal.
The fire was determined to be deliberately set, and a suspect was taken into custody in the early morning hours today. The suspect remains in custody as the investigation continues. It is anticipated that formal charges will be laid today. Pending charges being laid, the name will not be released at this time.
Sylvan Lake RCMP