Toronto, Ontario – The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a Fraud investigation.
It is alleged that:
– between November 2014 and February 2015, a 44-year-old woman was targeted with a fraudulent scheme
– the woman sent money to Japan
– a man worked in conjunction with persons overseas to receive and further launder the proceeds
– the man was found to be in possession of items used to create forged documents
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016, at 1:50 p.m., Charles Olutu, 52, also known as Dr. Love, of Vaughan, was arrested and charged with:
1) Laundering Proceeds of Crime
2) Possession of Instruments of Forgery
He appeared in court at 1000 Finch Avenue West on Thursday, September 15, 2016, 10 a.m., room 306.
Police are concerned there may be other victims.
As a result of the investigation investigators believe that charities across North America have been specifically targeted in recent weeks with counterfeit cheque schemes.
Anyone, including organizations, having had dealings with Charles Olutu or a person using the name Tatsuji Ota or Kiyoshi Junji, is asked to contact police at 416-808-7300, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).
Case #: 2015-337303
Toronto Police Service