Acheson, Alberta –On Wednesday September 21, 2016 at approximately 8:00 AM the Stony Plain/ Spruce Grove/Enoch RCMP responded to a complaint of a male employee attending his place of work with a firearm on his person. Police attended the business and set up containment of the area. The male was soon located and detained. It was learnt at this time that the firearm was an imitation firearm.
No one was injured.
RCMP would like to remind the public of the potential risks involved with possessing an imitation gun in public places. Imitation firearms can pose a safety hazard as they often create fear and panic by the general public when seen in public places. A fake/imitation gun can easily be mistaken for a real gun, which could have serious or even deadly consequences. Due to the threat to the public, police take firearms complaints seriously and will respond quickly with appropriate resources, tactics and level of force.
Imitation Gun Safety Tips
Please use imitation guns in a safe, responsible and lawful manner:
• Never play with an imitation gun in public places such as malls, parks or schools.
• Use air gun imitations only at designated play areas, gun ranges, or on private land outside of the city.
• Do not point an imitation gun at another person, even if you are joking.
• Handle air gun imitations with care to avoid injuries, and consider taking a safety class.
• Set rules for children playing with imitation guns so they understand the dangers of misusing them.
• Keep imitation guns out of sight and locked in a case to prevent misunderstandings, accidents or theft.
• If you are carrying an imitation gun and are approached by police, put the gun down and obey their instructions.
Photo: File photo of imitation firearm that looks almost like the real deal.
Stony Plain/ Spruce Grove/Enoch RCMP