Regina, Saskatchewan – A 34 year-old Regina male is facing a total of 36 charges in connection with a recent break and enter as well as weapons and drug charges following an arrest on Monday, October 3rd.
Just after 6:30 a.m. on Monday, October 3, 2016, police were dispatched to an address in the 100 block of McCaul Crescent for a report of a sick or injured person. Police arrived to find a male slumped over the steering wheel of a (stopped) truck. EMS was also at the scene and transported the male to hospital for possible intoxication by drugs. When officers checked the license plate of the vehicle, it showed as up as a stolen plate. The vehicle appeared to be full of items which, upon further investigation, were confirmed to be stolen. The truck was seized. When police established the identity of the male, they found he was also the subject of outstanding warrants for possession of stolen property. The search of the vehicle also found quantities of methamphetamine and heroin, brass knuckles, bear spray and two long-barrelled firearms. Once the male was treated at hospital and cleared he was transported to the RPS detention area. Further investigation resulted in numerous charges against this individual.
Thirty-four year-old Mark Timothy POPOWICH, DOB: 1981-11-12, of Regina, is facing 36 charges:
– Two charges of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a vehicle, s. 94(1) CC;
– Two charges of Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition in a vehicle, s. 94(1)(b) CC;
– Two charges of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1) CC;
– Possession of Stolen Property over $5,000, s. 355(a) CC;
– Five charges of Possession of Stolen Property under $5,000, s. 355(b) CC;
– Possession of a Firearm Knowing the Serial Number has been tampered with, s. 108(1)(b) CC;
– Two charges of Possession of a Scheduled Substance, s. 4(1) CDSA;
– Attempt Break and Enter, s. 348(1)(a) CC;
– Ten charges of Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order, s. 117.01(1) CC;
– Two charges of Careless Use of a Firearm, s. 86(1) CC;
– Two charges of Possession of a Weapon, s. 88;
– Two charges of Carrying a Concealed Weapon, s. 90 CC;
– Two charges of Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC; and
– Two charges of Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, s. 92(2) CC
POPOWICH made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, October 4, 2016.
Regina Police Service
Changes to Facebook means fewer people now see our posts. Please help spread the word by "sharing" our reports on your social media accounts.