Toronto, Ontario – The Toronto Police Service is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a man wanted in a fraud investigation.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016, a 61-year-old man attended a police station to report that he had been de-frauded, the night before, in the Keele Street and Wilson Avenue area.
It is reported that:
– he had invested in, and saved, a large quantity of loose, coloured diamonds
– he had made arrangements to sell them
– he was directed to meet at a local restaurant
– the suspect impersonated a doctor
– a cheque was given in exchange for the diamonds
– the cheque was later found to be fraudulent
The diamonds had been valued at approximately $1,000,000.
The suspect is described as 45-50, clean shaven, approximately 5’10”, short dark hair, wearing what is believed to be an olive-coloured Kippah, beige shirt with dark dress pants.
Security camera images are now released.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).
Case #: 2016-1785098
Toronto Police Service