Regina, Saskatchewan – A 31 year-old Regina male, who was the subject of an outstanding warrant for failing to attend court earlier this month, has been arrested. This individual was on a recognizance with several conditions including not to possess weapons or ammunition, as well as a prohibited firearms order. This male now faces additional charges in connection with the possession of a sawed-off shotgun and ammunition.
On October 23, 2016, police received information indicating a 31 year-old Regina male was in possession of a firearm, contrary to court-ordered conditions. Police were also aware of a bench warrant that was issued when the male failed to attend court on October 16, 2016. These circumstances and the potential risk to public and police officer safety made it a priority to locate this individual. Officers were successful in finding the male outside a business in the 5000 block of 4th Avenue. The male suspect got into the passenger seat of a van, then exited and started walking. He was apprehended by police without further incident; it’s alleged he was wearing two sets of body armour. Subsequent charges allege he had some ammunition in his pocket. The van took off when police tried to stop it. It was later found, abandoned, in an alley in the 600 block of King Street. A search of this vehicle found a sawed-off shotgun (passenger side floor) and ammunition (same calibre).
Thirty-one year-old Harold Joseph HANSON, DOB: 1985-07-27, of Regina was in Provincial Court today at 2:00 p.m. In addition to the warrant, HANSON is facing nine new charges:
– 3 x Breach of Recognizance, s. 145(3) CC;
– Possession of Ammunition While Prohibited from doing so, s. 11701(1) CC;
– Possession of a Prohibited Weapon, contrary to Prohibition, s. 117.01(1) CC;
– Careless Use/Storage of a Firearm, s. 86(1) CC;
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition, 95(1)(a) CC;
– Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle, s. 94(1)(a)(i) CC; and
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1) CC.
Investigation continues to identify and locate the driver of the van.
Regina Police Service
Changes to Facebook means fewer people now see our posts. Please help spread the word by "sharing" our reports on your social media accounts.