St. Albert, Alberta – At approximately 2:37 P.M. on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 St. Albert Traffic Services were conducting roving patrols in the are of Campbell Road and the Anthony Henday. A SUV was observed to be traveling at a high rate of speed southwest on Campbell Road and as a result, was ticketed for traveling 140 km/hr in a posted 70 km zone.
The 23 year old male driver was charged under the Traffic Safety Act for speeding which carries a mandatory court appearance. The driver, whose name is not being released, will appear in St. Albert Provincial Traffic Court January 31, 2017.
Cpl. Gaultois and the St. Albert Traffic Services Members would like to remind the public of the importance of driving responsibly. Even driving a few km/hr over the posted speed limit can have the following impacts:
• Reduces your ability to steer safely around curves or objects on the road.
• Decreases your field of vision and your peripheral vision.
• Extends the distance required to stop your vehicle in emergency situations.
• Reduces your ability to obey traffic control devices such as red lights and stop signs.
• Increases the chances of losing control of your vehicle.
• Reduces the effectiveness of seatbelts and other safety devices such as air bags and side impact beams.
• Increases probability of death or injury if there is a crash.
• Reduces the effectiveness of roadside hardware such as barriers, crash cushions and bridge rails.
Three out of every ten collisions involves the driver driving at an unsafe speed for the prevailing road conditions.
Its about getting to your destination safely. When you slow down, you increase safety for you, your passengers and the other motorists you share the road with.
St. Albert RCMP