Airdrie, Alberta– Airdrie RCMP received a report from a victim in Ontario, Canada, saying their personal information had been used to obtain a credit card from the Canadian Tire in Airdrie on October 17, 2016. A male and female suspect applied for a credit card using the stolen identification, and proceeded to make a significant fraudulent purchase with the newly obtained card.
Police would like to remind the public to protect themselves against payment card fraud by following these simple tips:
• Don’t leave any personal information lying around
• Shred documents with personal information prior to disposal, even if it is no longer valid
• Check your financial statements often
• Don’t give out any credit card information over the phone or Internet
• More tips can be found on the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada website
Police are asking for anyone who may have been a witness to this crime, or who has any information pertaining to this crime to contact Cst. DUTT with the Airdrie RCMP at 403-945-7200 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).