Fort McMurray, Alberta – On November 24th, 2016, police located a Cadillac SRX, which had been reported as stolen from the area of Franklin Avenue. An attempt was made by police to stop the vehicle, but the driver fled and was driving in a manner dangerous to public safety. Police did not pursue the vehicle.
At approximately 6:00 pm, witnesses reported a hit and run collision, with two additional parked vehicles, in the underground parking of the Stoneycreek Village. The driver and passenger had fled the location on foot. Police attended the location and confirmed that the involved vehicle was the vehicle that had previously been stolen and fled from police. Members searched the area and located the driver of the vehicle. He was found trying the door handles of vehicles parked on the street.
Freedom Riavitz, a 20 year old man from Fort McMurray, was arrested and charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
• Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000.00
• Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000.00
• Mischief under $5000.00
• Operation of a motor vehicle while pursued by police
• Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
• Failure to comply with conditions of a recognizance
Raivitz was also charged with:
• Possession of a controlled substance (marihuana) under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
• Operating a motor vehicle without a drivers licence, under the Traffic Safety Act
• Fail to remain at the scene of a collision, under the Traffic Safety Act
Raivitz remains in custody, his next court appearance on December 5th, 2016.
Police are still attempting to identify the passenger who was in the stolen vehicle.
If you witnessed this occurrence or have any additional information, please contact the Wood Buffalo RCMP at (780) 788-4000. If you would like to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or on the internet at www.tipsubmit.com. You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers, and if you provide information to Crime Stoppers that leads to an arrest(s), you may be eligible for a cash reward.
Wood Buffalo RCMP