Lethbridge, Alberta – Lethbridge Police are investigating several incidents where counterfeit U.S. bills were passed at local businesses in February and March and are seeking the public’s assistance to identify the suspects.
The fake bills were $20 and $50 denominations.
All businesses are reminded to be vigilant when accepting U.S. currency.
• Take a moment to inspect the bill
• Learn and look for the security features on U.S. bills. www.uscurrency.gov is a good resource
• Feel the bill, checking for raised ink, uniform thickness of the paper and texture
• Compare one bill with another of the same denomination to see if they are alike
• If you receive two bills look at the serial number to see if it’s the same (it shouldn’t be)
• U.S. bills have a security thread that runs vertically up the left side of the bill
• Check for watermarks on the left side of the bill by holding it up to a light
Anyone who recognizes the above suspects is asked to contact police at 403-328-4444 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477. Anonymous Crime Stoppers tips can also be submitted online at www.tipsubmit.com Crime Stoppers will pay cash for information leading to an arrest.
Lethbridge Police Service