Fort McMurray, Alberta – Since mid March 2017, the Wood Buffalo RCMP have responded to multiple complaints of online fraud. The reported frauds specifically pertained to animal sales, advertised on Facebook. The seller was requesting that a down payment be made for a puppy.
When choosing to make a purchase online, keep the following in mind:
- Do not purchase a product or service without carefully researching the product/ service and the associated business (if applicable).
- Be wary of down payment requests for a product or service, particularly when there is no associated business.
- Despite requiring a profile, Facebook is no more secure than any other site that sales can be arranged on, and they can contain a considerable amount of false information.
- Be wary of product or service prices that are too good to be true.
- Do not provide personal or banking information when making an online purchase.
If you are a victim of fraud, or if someone has attempted to fraudulently obtain money from you, please contact the Wood Buffalo RCMP at (780) 788-4000, or your local police department. Also report fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, or report online at http://www.antifraudcentre.ca
Wood Buffalo RCMP