Calgary, Alberta – Following a week-long operation by the Calgary Police Service District 1 Beat Team, five people have been arrested and are facing 26 Criminal Code charges.
Working with community partners throughout the downtown core, the District 1 Beat Team became aware of an increase in street-level drug activity along Stephen Avenue. The operation was initiated Tuesday, April 18, 2017, in an effort to focus on drug trafficking and drug-related crime to ensure the mall remained a safe place for the public to enjoy.
The operation wrapped up on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, and resulted in the execution of 44 warrants, 12 summons and 26 Criminal Code charges including possession of controlled substances, possession for the purpose of trafficking, theft under $5,000, breach of recognizance, and fail to comply. The following items were also seized as a result:
- 28.2 grams of methamphetamine
- 1.6 grams of soft cocaine
- Two, Tylenol 3s with codeine
- Six pills of Dexedrine, a schedule I drug under the CDSA
- Four concealed knives
- One replica handgun
Those charged include:
- Tara Duncan, 23, of no fixed address
- Tanya Youngman, 47, of no fixed address
- Shelley Ward, 43, of no fixed address
- Brandon Yellowfly, 20, of Calgary
- Zoe Hartman, 21, of Calgary
The goal of the District 1 Beat Team is to ensure the vibrancy of Calgary’s downtown by targeting social disorder and crime, while developing relationships with the community in a proactive attempt to prevent and reduce crime.
Calgary Police Service