Vancouver, BC – Cameron Eugene Ratelle, subject of a public warning from the VPD on May 18th, has been arrested for breaching his long-term supervision order.
Thirty-eight-year-old Ratelle is a federal offender who has been convicted of multiple sexual assaults against young women in Ontario and B.C. The VPD was advised on May 15th that he would be living at a Vancouver halfway house and has since been monitored by the VPD’s High Risk Offender Unit.
“Public safety remains a priority of the VPD,” says Constable Jason Doucette. “We will continue to closely monitor high-risk offenders living in Vancouver.”
Ratelle was observed breaching a non-violent condition of his statutory release this afternoon and was arrested. He remains in custody.
The VPD believes that circumstances exist to warn the public that Cameron Eugene Ratelle is residing in Vancouver and poses a risk of significant harm to the safety of young women, particularly those 16 to 25 years-old.
Thirty-eight-year-old Ratelle is a federal offender who has been convicted of a sexual assault against a person under the age of 18, as well as university women living on campuses in Ontario. The VPD was advised on May 15th that he would be living at a Vancouver halfway house.
The Correctional Service of Canada has assessed Ratelle as a moderate to high risk for violent and sexual re-offending. Since becoming aware of Ratelle’s presence in Vancouver, the VPD’s High Risk Offender Unit has reviewed his recent behaviour, and believe that a public warning is prudent.
Ratelle is described as black, 5’8″ tall, 185 lbs., with a stocky build, shaved head, brown eyes, and he often uses hearing aids. He is currently bound by his statutory release, which include several conditions:
- not to go on the property of any educational institute or school [including university campuses]
- not to be in the presence of anyone under the age of 18 years of age without permission
- abide by daily curfew from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- not to possess, purchase or consume alcohol or non-prescription drugs
- not to possess, purchase or access pornography
- not to access any internet site or access any computer
- must reside at a community correctional centre or community residential facility
Anyone who sees Cameron Ratelle in violation of any of these conditions is asked to call 9-1-1.
Vancouver Police Department