Red Deer, Alberta – A joint investigation between ALERT Red Deer and Red Deer RCMP has resulted in the arrest of two suspected drug traffickers and the seizure of significant amounts of drugs and proceeds of crime.
On July 5, 2017, three search warrants were executed simultaneously at residences throughout the city of Red Deer by ALERT Red Deer’s organized crime and gang team and Red Deer RCMP’s General Investigation Section. These warrants were part of a joint investigation that began in May 2017.
In total, investigators seized:
- more than 330 grams of cocaine;
- 50 ecstasy pills;
- 30 grams of psilocybin mushrooms;
- more than 800 grams of an unknown buffing agent;
- 262 grams of hashish;
- 31 grams of cannabis resin (also known as “shatter”);
- 23 grams of marijuana;
- 16 packages of oil and candies infused with cannabis; and
- 47 syringes pre-filled with cannabis oil distillate.
Investigators also seized several weapons – including a knife, an extendable baton, a rifle and brass knuckles – cellphones, drug paraphernalia and more than $1,300 in cash proceeds of crime.
“Co-operation like this between agencies is one of the most effective ways to ensure drugs are taken off the streets and dangerous weapons are taken out of the hands of criminals,” says Insp. Dave Dubnyk, officer in charge of regional teams for ALERT.
Karl Hellwig, a 29-year-old man, and Diana Hristova, a 26-year-old woman, have each been charged with:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purposes of trafficking (x4);
- Possession of a prohibited weapon; and
- Possession of the proceeds of crime.
More arrests and charges are possible as the investigation continues.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of the Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.