Delta, BC – After two separate daytime break and enters on July 11,2017 in the North Delta area, Police are reminding the public to lock doors and windows even if at home or working in the yard. Police are also encouraging citizens to report any suspicious person or activity.
In one break and enter, occurring on July 11, 2017 between 7:00 a.m. & 4:00 p.m. in the 9200 blk of 117 Street, the owner was not home and suspect(s) pried open a door to gain entry. Once inside the suspect(s) stole a variety of items including, a laptop computer, liquor and food.
The second break and enter occurred July 11, 2017 between 4:00p.m. & 5:00 p.m. in the 11500 blk of 84B Ave, while the owner of the residence was home working in the backyard. In this case suspect(s) entered through the insecure front door and stole a wallet, cash, a laptop and IPhone.
Police continue to investigate these incidents but do remind the public of some safety and prevention tips;
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and secured when you leave the residence even if you are only going to be gone for a short time.
- When you are home don’t leave keys, purses or wallets near insecure or open doors and windows.
- Keep your shrubs and trees trimmed to avoid blocking your doors and windows from clear view.
- Window and door locking devices (as simple as a wooden stick in the track of the window or patio door) can be installed.
- Motion lights around the exterior of your property illuminating points of entry
- If you are home but working in your backyard ensure all windows and doors at the front and sides of the house are closed and locked.
For those planning a weekend away or summer vacation, make preparation for someone to watch your residence while you are away, or attend the Community Police Office and ask a volunteer about our Home Security Checks Program CASA (CoPS Are Security Active). Volunteers will check the perimeter of your residence while you are away on vacation. For more information on this service go to http://deltapolice.ca/services/residential/casa/
DPD File: 17-14520 & 17-14537
Delta Police Department