Edmonton, Alberta – A firearm and an assortment of drugs were seized recently as ALERT teams arrested a suspected drug dealer in west Edmonton.
ALERT Edmonton’s organized crime and gang team, with the help of Stony Plain RCMP and the Edmonton Police Service, executed search warrants at two residences near Winterburn Road on July 10, 2017.
At one of the residences, investigators seized a self-loading .25-calibre handgun. They also seized a cocaine press, a small amount of cash, and approximately:
- 500 grams of cocaine;
- 50 grams of MDMA (ecstasy);
- 92 grams of methamphetamine; and
- 2.6 kilograms of marijuana.
The drugs seized have an approximate street value of $87,700.
“Getting guns out of the hands of drug dealers is one of ALERT’s biggest priorities,” says Insp. Dennis Storey of ALERT. “Not only does it make the immediate neighbourhood safer for the people who live there, but also reduces risks across the entire city.”
Hugo Lacelle, a 24-year-old man, has been charged with:
- possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (x4);
- possession of proceeds of crime;
- trafficking in a controlled substance;
- careless storage of a firearm;
- unauthorized possession of a firearm; and
- possession of a weapon dangerous to the public.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of the Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.