Edmonton, Alberta – In the interest of public safety, the Edmonton Police Service is issuing the following warning; Ian Whitford is a convicted violent offender and the Edmonton Police Service has reasonable grounds to believe she will commit another violent offence while in the community.
Ian Whitford is a transgender person who identifies and dresses as female and goes by the name of Leanne Whitford.
Whitford will be residing in the Edmonton area. The Edmonton Police Service is seeking a recognizance order on Whitford and she will be closely monitored by the Behavioural Assessment Unit of the Edmonton Police Service.
Whitford has been placed on court ordered conditions including:
- Must keep the peace and be of good behaviour
- Must abide by a curfew of 10 PM to 6 AM daily
- Must not travel out of the City of Edmonton without written permission from her supervisor.
- Must not purchase, possess or consume any alcohol or drugs, including marijuana.
- Must not enter establishments whose primary source of income is derived from the sale or consumption of alcohol.
- Must not actively participate in the sex trade industry including street prostitution and not associate with individuals involved in the sex trade.
Must not to go to any known high risk areas of drug trafficking and sexual services including but not limited to the areas in Edmonton as listed here:
- 1 block east and west of 95 street, from 107 avenue to 118 avenue.
- 1 block north and south of 118 Avenue, from 34 street to 96 street.
- 1 block north and south of 107 avenue, from 101 street to 116 street.
- 1 block north and south of Stony Plain Road, from 151 street to 163 street.
- 1 block east and west of 124 street, from 111 avenue to 118 avenue
Anyone with any information about any potential breaches of these conditions by WHITFORD can contact the EPS at 780-423-4567.
The Edmonton Police Service is issuing this information and warning after careful deliberation of all related issues, including privacy concerns, in the belief that it is clearly in the public interest to inform the members of the community.
Members of the public are advised that the intent of this process is to enable citizens to take suitable precautionary measures. Releasing this information is NOT intended to encourage people to engage in any form of vigilante action.
This information is released under the authority of the FOIP Act, RSA 2000, C. F-25.
The information in this release is that which was verifiable prior to the release time indicated. Continued investigation and review could result in additional information or clarification.
Edmonton Police Service
“Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve”