Winnipeg, Manitoba – The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) announced today that in Winnipeg Provincial Court on August 28, 2017, Craig Eugene Leslie, 26 years old of Minnesota, entered a guilty plea and was sentenced to a 20-month jail sentence for attempting to smuggle digital images and videos of child pornography, contrary to section 159 of the Customs Act.
On May 27, 2017, Leslie was seeking entry into Canada at the Emerson port of entry and was referred for secondary examination. CBSA officers examined his electronic device and discovered suspected child pornography. The officer seized the electronic device and arrested Leslie.
The case was referred to the CBSA Criminal Investigations Section, which located and identified additional images and video files of child pornography on the seized device.
“This is a significant sentence as a result of a CBSA child pornography investigation, which speaks to the important role our officers have in identifying and investigating cases of suspected child pornography to prevent further exploitation of children.”
– Kim R. Scoville, Regional Director General, Canada Border Services Agency, Prairie Region
- The Customs Act prohibits the importation of certain goods, including child pornography as defined by the Criminal Code. The CBSA works closely with the Public Prosecution Service of Canada to prosecute to the full extent of the law those engaging in smuggling prohibited material into Canada.
- The Customs Act also authorizes CBSA officers to examine all goods, including electronic devices.
- So far this year in the Prairie Region, CBSA officers have made 15 suspected child pornography seizures; in 2016, they made 17 seizures of suspected child pornography; and 22 seizures of suspected child pornography in 2015.
- CBSA officers are always on the lookout for prohibited material and are trained to intercept these goods in all forms – printed material, film or video tape. Anyone with information about suspicious cross-border or illegal activity is encouraged to call the CBSA Border Watch Toll-free Line at 1-888-502-9060.
Canada Border Services Agency