Grande Prairie, Alberta – Since January 1st, 2017, the Grande Prairie Municipal and Rural RCMP have received numerous complaints in regards to stolen copper wire. In some cases, the victims have been out thousands of dollars.
The RCMP would like to encourage the public to take preventative measures against the theft of their property, such as:
- Install a security camera with a video recorder and keep recordings for a sufficient period.
- Secure all equipment and scrap metals in locked buildings or in well-lighted areas secured by fencing.
- Post “No Trespassing” placards or signs indicating the presence of a surveillance or security system.
- Remove access to buildings and roofs, such as trees, ladders, scaffolding, dumpsters and accumulated materials such as pallet piles.
- Secure your building access with deadbolts and door and window locks.
- Trim or remove shrubbery or other landscaping that allows criminals to hide from view on your property.
- Increase exterior lighting and protect fixtures (such as AC units) with locked metal cages.
If you observe suspicious behaviour involving copper wire, please contact your local RCMP Detachment.
The Crime Prevention Unit with the City of Grande Prairie, offers safety audits (crime prevention through environmental design) to city residents and businesses. If you are interested in this program, please contact Crime Prevention at (780) 882-7813 or at http://www.cityofgp.com/index.aspx?page=438.
If you have any information, which you believe may assist police in their investigation, please call the Grande Prairie RCMP at (780) 830-5719. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1.800.222.8477 (TIPS), by Internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by SMS (check your local Crimes Stoppers, www.crimestoppers.ab.ca, for instructions). You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers and if you provide information to Crime Stoppers that leads to an arrest(s), the recovery of stolen property, and/or a seizure of illicit drugs, you may be eligible for a cash reward.
Grande Prairie RCMP