Harbour Grace, Newfoundland and Labrador – On November 22, 2017, at approximately 9:30 p.m., Harbour Grace RCMP received a call of an overdue hunter in an area west of Carbonear. Preliminary searches conducted by family and friends failed to locate the man.
The 42-year-old man, and his dog, left his residence around 10:00 a.m. that morning to go hunting west of Carbonear and did not return at the time expected.
The Avalon North Wolverines Search and Rescue were dispatched to the area and coordinated a search at first light this morning. Air support was provided by Fire and Emergency Services NL.
At approximately 10:30 a.m. the man, and his dog, were located safe and sound and removed via helicopter.
Outdoor Safety Tips
As the temperature drops and terrain conditions change, the RCMP would like to remind the public to be prepared.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working order
- Carry extra fuel
- Familiarize yourself with the area you are travelling through and know the potential hazards
- Check the weather forecast before heading out
- Carry a satellite phone, cell phone or other means of communication
- Inform someone of your travel plans, where you are going, and when you plan to return
- Carry emergency supplies and learn survival skills
- If you become disoriented, try to stay in the same area and not wander.
Harbour Grace RCMP