Medicine Hat, Alberta – A Medicine Hat-based cocaine trafficking network has been dismantled following a lengthy and complex investigation by ALERT.
Project Maverick has resulted in charges against 10 suspects and the seizure of roughly $200,000 worth of drugs, cash proceeds of crime, and property obtained by crime. Fourteen firearms were also seized.
Arrests took place November 15 and 16, 2018, with assistance from Medicine Hat Police Service (MHPS). The MHPS along with Redcliff RCMP, Brooks RCMP, Taber Police Service, Calgary Police Service, and Edmonton Police Service provided assistance with Project Maverick.
At the core of the investigation were three men who ALERT alleges conspired to traffic cocaine through Medicine Hat and surrounding communities. Derec Trekofski, Ian Gabriel and Sean Engel have been charged with conspiracy to traffic cocaine and offences related to participating in a criminal organization.
Trekofski was allegedly at the top of the network and has subsequently been charged with instructing a criminal organization. The 27-year-old man from Medicine Hat has drug trafficking convictions as the result of previous ALERT investigations. He is scheduled to appear in court on December 20.
Project Maverick began in December 2017 based on criminal intelligence related to drug trafficking activity.
During the course of the investigation three homes were searched, including two in Medicine Hat and one in Redcliff. The following items were seized as the result of Project Maverick:
- 1.1 kilograms of cocaine;
- 10 rifles;
- 2 handguns;
- 2 shotguns;
- 3 prohibited magazines;
- thousands of rounds of ammunition;
- 8,800 contraband cigarettes;
- $9,200 in recovered stolen property;
- $17,000 in property obtained by crime; and
- $53,700 cash proceeds of crime.
The suspects face a total of 60 charges:
- Derec Trekofski, a 27-year-old man from Medicine Hat;
- Sean Engel, a 28-year-old man from Redcliff;
- Ian Gabriel, a 29-year-old man from Medicine Hat;
- Krystal Chin, a 26-year-old woman from Medicine Hat;
- Kerry Denis, a 53-year-old man from Leoville, Sask;
- Mitchell Wasiliew, a 29-year-old man from Medicine Hat;
- Trenton Holmstrom, a 29-year-old man from Medicine Hat;
- Justin Allen, a 32-year-old man from Redcliff;
- Kristen Allen, a 30-year-old woman from Redcliff; and
- Ethan Tough, a 28-year-old man from Medicine Hat.
Gabriel and Tough could not be located and warrants have been issued for their arrest.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.
Changes to Facebook means fewer people now see our posts. Please help spread the word by "sharing" our reports on your social media accounts.