Whitecourt, Alberta – On May 28th, 2019 Whitecourt RCMP with the assistance of the Whitecourt Integrated Traffic Unit were advised of a stolen vehicle approaching the area that was taken in an earlier carjacking that lead to a pursuit with RCMP in Valleyview and Fox Creek Detachments.
RCMP members deployed to intercept the vehicle as it approached Whitecourt. The suspect vehicle continued to drive erratically nearly causing collisions with other users of the road. There were multiple reports to police from concerned motorists who described the driving pattern as dangerous. The stolen vehicle was located by members in an unmarked police vehicle shortly thereafter.
A Tire Deflation Device commonly known as a spikebelt was successfully deployed by RCMP. The stolen vehicle continued on rims and with the help of a citizen in a tractor trailer unit the vehicle was forced into the ditch ending the pursuit and concern for public safety on the highway.
The driver Tyler Daniel Burns (28) of Edmonton was arrested without incident.
Burns is facing the following charges from this incident:
1. Flight from a peace officer – 320.17 of the Criminal Code
2. Dangerous Driving – 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code
3. Fail to perform physical coordination tests – 320.15(1) of the Criminal Code (Impaired Operation by Drug)
4. Possession of Stolen Property over $5000 – 355(a) of the Criminal Code
5. Fail to comply with Recognizance – 145(3) of the Criminal Code
Burns remains in custody pending a bail hearing at St. Albert Provincial Court on June 3, 2019.
Whitecourt Integrated Traffic Services
Please help spread the word by "sharing" our reports on your social media accounts.