St. Paul County, Alberta – On Aug. 20, 2019, Elk Point RCMP, Cold Lake Police Dog Services (PDS) and the Eastern Alberta District Rural Crime Reduction Unit (EADRCRU) were conducting an investigation north or Elk Point with the intent on finding a stolen vehicle involved in crimes throughout the Lakeland area.
Police located a different stolen vehicle and arrested its occupants. A sawed-off shotgun wedged next to the driver’s seat was located inside of the stolen truck, as well as other weapons and a replica handgun. Two of the arrested individuals were wanted on outstanding warrants.
Dominic Berland (25), Matthew Moyah (36), and Levi Stanley (34) of Frog Lake and Samantha Waskahat (31) of Cold Lake were charged with the following:
• Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000
• Careless use of a firearm
• Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
• Unauthorized possession of a prohibited firearm
• Possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle
• Possession of a loaded prohibited firearm
• Possession of a firearm with a tampered serial number
• Possession of an imitation firearm
Berland was additionally charged with obstructing a peace officer, failing to comply with a Recognizance and failing to attend court. He was also wanted on outstanding warrants for several offences, including:
• Mischief (X2)
• Breaking and entering (X2)
• Using a forged document
Moyah was also wanted on outstanding warrants for the following offences:
• Flight from police
• Obstructing a peace officer
• Failing to comply with probation
Berland and Moyah were remanded into custody after a judicial hearing. Berland is scheduled to appear in court in St. Paul Provincial Court on August 29 and Moyah is scheduled to appear on August 27 in Bonnyville Provincial Court.
Stanley and Waskahat were released following a judicial hearing. Stanley is scheduled to appear in court on August 29, 2019 in St. Paul. Waskahat was scheduled to appear in court in St. Paul on August 22, 2019. She failed to appear and now has an outstanding arrest warrant.
Elk Point RCMP
Please help spread the word by "sharing" our reports on your social media accounts.