Two Hills County, Alberta – On Aug. 31, 2020, an arrest was made by Two Hills RCMP and the Eastern Alberta District Rural Crime Reduction Unit (EADRCRU) during a traffic stop on Highway 36 near Duvernay, Alta.
This arrest occurred as a result of an ongoing drug trafficking investigation affecting Minburn County, Two Hills County, Saddle Lake First Nation, and St. Paul County. During the search of the vehicle, police located and seized what is believed to be cocaine and methamphetamine.
Vegreville RCMP officers then secured a residence associated with the offender in Vegreville and a search warrant was executed during the morning of Sept. 1, 2020. A significant quantity of suspected methamphetamine, cocaine, and fentanyl was located inside the residence. In addition to the illicit drugs, two sawed-off shotguns, other weapons, body armour, and over $10,000 in Canadian currency was seized.
“At street level, the drugs seized in this investigation have a value in excess of $100,000,” said Constable Guillaume Wilson (EADRCRU). “The successful execution of this operation would not have been possible without the teamwork and collaboration between the Crime Reduction Unit and the detachments in Two Hills, Vegreville and St. Paul. These joint operations are effective at confronting the offenders committing crimes across several jurisdictions and the seizure of drugs and illegal guns increases public safety in our communities.”
The following items are the controlled substances seized during the investigation:
· Approximately 800 grams of suspected methamphetamine
· Approximately 260 grams of suspected cocaine and crack cocaine
· Approximately 10 grams of suspected fentanyl/heroin
Preston Cardinal (36) of Vegreville, Alta., was charged with multiple offences, including the following:
· Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (x3)
· Failing to comply with the conditions of a release order (x3)
· Possession of a prohibited weapon contrary to an order
· Careless use of a firearm
· Unauthorized possession of a firearm
· Possession of a loaded prohibited firearm
· Possession of a weapon obtained by crime
· Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
· Possession of proceeds of crime over $5,000
· Unlawful possession of body armour
He was remanded into custody after a judicial hearing and is scheduled to appear in Vegreville Provincial Court on Sept. 14, 2020.
Two Hills RCMPSocial Media Sharing Centre
Please support us by "sharing".