Leduc, Alberta – Leduc RCMP recognize catalytic converter theft is a rising crime trend in the area and want to remind vehicle owners of some Crime Prevention tips.
“Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design is a key factor in reducing theft of catalytic converters. Think about where you park your vehicle. Think about how the criminal would gain access to it, if there’s any way to prevent access or add a barrier, that’s what we recommend,”, says Cst. Cheri-Lee Smith.
This is predominantly a crime of opportunity where the vehicle has been left unsecure or is easily accessible by the offender.
Tips to prevent theft of catalytic converters from being stolen include:
· Park in well-lit areas and close to building entrances, when possible
· Park your vehicle inside your garage and keep all garage doors shut and locked
· Business owners should secure their vehicles behind locked fences or inside a locked building
· Set your car’s alarm to go off when it detects vibration
· Engrave your vehicle identification number (VIN) on the catalytic converter. This may alert a scarp metal dealer that it was stolen and makes it easier to identify the owner
· Report to local police, if you see anyone underneath a vehicle or around a resident/business at odd hours of day or night
“Our officers are working diligently using crime reduction strategies to target the offenders and reduce the impact these thefts have on residents in the area” says Sgt. Shane Himmelman.
If you have any information on property crimes in your area, you are encouraged to contact Leduc RCMP at 780-980-7267 or your local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8444 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
Leduc RCMPSocial Media Sharing Centre
Please support us by "sharing".