Wetaskiwin, Alberta – On September 15th, 2021, at approximately 4 p.m., Wetaskiwin RCMP responded to a serious motor vehicle collision on Highway 814 at Township Road 470 just north of Wetaskiwin.
Wetaskiwin RCMP attended and further investigation indicated an SUV travelling southbound on Highway 814 was struck by a westbound pickup truck, causing the SUV to roll into the ditch. Emergency medical services and fire services also attended the scene. The 62-year-old female driver and lone occupant of the SUV, from New Norway, was pronounced deceased at the scene. The name of the deceased will not be released.
Witnesses observed the male driver and lone occupant of the pickup truck flee from the scene. Edmonton RCMP’s Police Dog Service attended to assist in tracking male and he was located and arrested a short distance away. RCMP collision analyst attended the scene to assist. As a result of the investigation, the following charges have been laid against one male:
Nicholas James Dekelver (36) of Devon, AB:
· Operate motor vehicle while impaired causing death
· Dangerous Operation of motor vehicle causing death
· Criminal negligence causing death
· Failure to stop after accident resulting in death
· Operate motor vehicle while prohibited
· Flight from Police
· Possession of stolen property over $5000
· Resist arrest
· Possession of methamphetamine
· Drive without insurance
· Drive without registration
Dekelver was brought before a Justice of the Peace and was remanded and is scheduled to appear in court in Wetaskiwin on September 23rd, 2021.
No further updates are anticipated.
Please support us by "sharing".