Mountain View County, Alberta – On Jan. 10, 2022, at 1:50 p.m., Sundre RCMP located a vehicle southbound on Highway 22 heading towards Sundre believed to have been stolen from Calgary.
A traffic stop was initiated with the stolen 2003 Black Hummer on Range Road 34 just north of Township Road 340, however the driver failed to stop and attempted to evade police by driving at a high rate of speed. Upon determining the driver was not going to comply, the traffic stop was terminated.
The stolen vehicle continued northbound on Range Road 34 and was located by RCMP approximately 6 kilometers north, after having rolled in the ditch.
Upon RCMP arriving on the scene, a lone male was observed fleeing on foot through a field.
Additional RCMP units from Olds, Sundre and Innisfail, as well as the RCMP Police Dog Services(PDS) were called in to assist.
The suspect was subsequently arrested without incident prior to the arrival of PDS. A search of the immediate area around the collision scene by PDS determined that the suspect was the lone occupant of the vehicle.
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) were called to attend as the suspect sustained non-life threatening injures as a result of the rollover. The suspect was transported by EMS to hospital for further assessment and treatment and was later released and returned to police custody.
Alan Ray McAbee (42) of Rimbey, Alta., has been charged with 18 offences:
· Flight from peace officer
· Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose (x2)
· Knowingly possess a prohibited/restricted weapon (x2)
· Possess a firearm in a vehicle (x2)
· Carless use/storage of a firearm (x2)
· Possess break-in instruments
· Possession of stolen property over $5000
· Operate motor vehicle while prohibited
· Possession for the purpose of trafficking (CDSA)
· Possess more than 30 grams of cannabis (CBA)
· Fail to comply with release order (x4)
After a judicial hearing, McAbee did not speak to bail and was remanded to custody and will next be appearing on Jan. 24, 2022 in Didsbury Provincial Court.
As these matters are now before the courts, no further details can be released.
RCMP – Southern Alberta District
Please support us by "sharing".